Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 November 2007

All a matter of taste

I was talking to someone recently about music, I've bought am MP3 player and have taken to listening whenever and to whatever I can. This is quite a change for me. I am listening right now.

Up to about 2 years ago I had no interest in music, in fact I will go so far as to say that I avoided anything to do with music. It was alien, beyond my understanding, incomprehensible, distracting noise and I had no need for it in my life. I would listen to talk radio in the car, Radio 4, but whenever that distraction turned up I would switch off, Desert Island Disks being particularly annoying. I would claim to be tone deaf, or that music was trivia not worthy of my attention. I had an awareness that maybe this was a little odd, some 5 years ago when on a counselling course we were all asked to bring in a favorite piece, and after much soul searching I had brought nothing. Friends found this odd, that during 47 years, no song or instrumental had formed an emotional attachment in my brain. "What about your first dance" I didn't; "Mums favorite" she didn't, "Your children's favorite" I didn't listen.

Home was a non music zone for my childhood (apart from the Archers signature tune), at school I dimly recollect banging a drum and tapping on a triangle (is playing the triangle called tapping?). In my teens I had the ubiquitous guitar (something to do with the opposite sex) which became dusty and binned. I had stared at my "Bert Weedon" Play with Yourself in a Day book for months but nothing resembling Music had emerged. A few years ago my wife bought me a harmonica starter set which met the same fate as Bert and Co..

What did I want music for, I had R4, it was all I wanted.

So what has changed? Certainly I can no longer imagine a life without music, it no longer distracts; it enriches and colours my life. I greedily consume, devour, digest and am nourished by music. It would be great to point to some event or turn in my life, there isn't one; but gradually over 2 years music has become very important to me.


So what music do I like?

Well there hangs the tale. I have missed 50 years; almost like a man wakening from a coma; the world is a strange place . Add to those 50 several hundred more that preceeded my birth which I label mostly as classical (sorry for the generalisation and a lot of the 20th century).

So what music do I like?

This is what is in my MP3 player

Adam Faith, Amimals, Arctic Monkeys, Beethoven, Billy Idol, Blondie, Carlos Santana, Cream, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Eagles, Fear Factory (blame a friendly beaver!!!), Kaiser Cheifs, Lonnie Donegan, Michael Crawford, Pavarotti, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Robbie Williams, Sinaed O'Connor, The Streets, Talking Heads and The Verve.

I have to try it all. Hope I don't find a genre, what might I miss if I do?





6 comments:

klahanie said...

Yo dude!
It's time to let the music of your soul dance a merry tune on your keyboard.
You will find music in your blogging. Now that you have re-opened your ears, you will be immersed in the wonders of various genres.
I find it beneficial, at times, to have music playing in the background when I do a blog. Based on my recent blogs, Mr.N., it might make you wonder what I'm listening to. Pink Floyd's album Umma Gumma perhaps?
Have you listened to some 'kick ass' music in the 'Blue Grass' genre? I highly recommend Goose Creek Symphony (Yee Haaa!)
Two quick blogs Mr. Smallandsnappy!...There's no stopping you now!
Take care my friend. It is a privilege to know you. Best wishes Klahanie.

emma said...

Music! Can't imagine life without. So glad you've discovered it Phil. I love music - all I ever wanted to do is play music. When I hear something I like, I want to learn it. The words kinda pass me by, but the melody - oh my!. Music - food for the soul.

Hope you've not abanndoned radio 4 completely! Try Stephen Fretwell too - he's from Scunthorpe - grim, but don't let that put you off!

TALKBANK Action Group said...

Hi

Very interesting post - I always know I'm going to have a 'bad time' when I can't hear music, even the old faithfuls don't seem to register. Despite that, a few choice tunes can open up a whole new world, and I hope you enjoy exploring!

Look forward to seeing you at MAGMH soon.

Best,

Shirley

klahanie said...

Hi there Smallandsnappy!
Just wanted to thank you for your very kind comments on my latest blog. You, good sir, are one awesome dude..

David said...

Dear Smallandsnappy,
So glad that you have "found" music. It can be a great inspiration, as surely you now know. In fact I have just written a recent blog about Johnny Cash and how his music influenced and inspired me. Maybe you could add him to your list. Like you my music tastes are extremely eclectic, so best not to rule out anything.
Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy!

With Very Best Wishes,
David.

Domenica said...

Hi Smallandsnappy,

"If music be the food of love...play on"
Your taste in music appears very varied,(much like my own) Which I believe is a 'good thing' because all the different genres of music have something to offer, depending upon what we wish to listen to at the time.
I hope you continue to enjoy your new found love of music. Best wishes...D x