Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 December 2007

Feeling unwell

We all know the effect physical health can have on our mental wellbeing, I know it but often forget how important this aspect is to me personally. I find myself swinging between rage, the floor, borderline mania and everyday normal existence. Why? Because I am a diabetic. I am type 2 diabetic, what used to be called most annoyingly age onset diabetes; yes, I know we now have teenagers suffering from type 2 due to modern lifestyles; and people who should know better look me in the face use the term "age onset". Suppose it seems obvious that I have age issues, but it isn't that: I just have an aversion to being judged.

Anyway, my GP decided that my medication wasn't good enough for me, nice of him. So he changed it to something different, like most meds it took a while to settle down and had a period of ups and downs with the accompanying emotional side effects. Oh, forgot to mention, my sleep pattern is severely disturbed as well. Well after 4 weeks the new meds hadn't helped at all, so we changed them again, 4 weeks later I am starting to fell ok again.

Now I've got a fluish virus, so I am back to square one

I know there is a reason why physical and mental health are so closely linked, and if this isn't double dutch, I can never work it out. I have found that my feelings can be more immediate indicator of my blood sugar levels, than a blood test. Often when feeling low or anger, the test shows my levels to be high or low. This is all after 4 years of being stable and relatively well. However it doesn't seem to work the other way round, i don't get a physical warning when I am going to feel down. It would be great to get a pain in my big toe as a warning of depression, or an itch in my nose warning of impending fireworks.

Suppose all this thinking is a result of not feeling well, and the nature of being unwell as I feel it. Very personal and unique, fearful of returning to former times, a difficult time both personally and at work.

Never seems to rain but it pours.



2 comments:

klahanie said...

Hello Smallandsnappy
First of all, let me say thanks for your comments on my blogs. You understand the ethos of interaction on here. A real community spirit, I would like to think.
I've had a very hectic week and find myself struggling to keep up with commenting on blogs. Here goes anyway.
We both realise that mental wellbeing can have a direct bearing on your physical wellbeing. Thus, ofcourse a cycle of psychosomatic symptoms can be enhanced.
I do firmly believe, with a positive mental attitude, and a visualisation of myself 'feeling' better physically and mentally; I have a notable increase in all-round better health. I ty to maintain this positive focus as I know you do my friend.
I too fear returning to former times which were most unpleasant. Yet I challenge this fear, for I know that such detrimental situations will never again overwhelm me. We have both come a long way. Peace be with you.

Victoria Hart said...

I understand these emotions; I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 27 years. I suppose the best advice I could give is to look at the mood swings as a gift-a built in glucose meter. (it is very difficult and I'm not making light of it--I get very very tired of adjusting just to have to readjust everything.) We are living bodies and therefore nothing is static for good and bad. BEst to you. Just holler if you need to rant to someone who understands...
Victoria