Search This Blog

Thursday 6 December 2007

Dreaming my way out of a mess

Been thinking about putting my philosophy of life, stuff and things on this blog. Wasn't sure how other people would take it, but well what does it matter so long as I enjoy it.

Which brings me to my first belief about life and stuff. Those who know me will be familiar with my healthy start to the day, I believe in a proper healthy breakfast. I always have the same, glass of water, half a pink grapefruit (the acid is just right to open my eyes), real strong coffee (to keep them open); healthy low sugar, salt and fat muesli, fresh berries, banana, skimmed milk topped with a large spoonful of selfishness. This for me is healthy living, sets me up for the day and whatever is hurled at me. As a top up I have several mugs of Earl Grey, sometimes with 2 spoons of organic selfishness (I do think that organic is best, don't you?).

You see I spent most of my life worrying about doing things just for me, didn't feel comfortable, and those around me were fond of telling me that I was the S word. So there I was saying yes to everybody I came across, then spending the rest of the time full of resentment. I practiced this at school, with my mother, partners, work, friends and children. I guess that I was just a yes man, then a resentful man followed usually an angry man; this for years was my recipe for success!!! When you don't know any better, and those who could tell you about it were either long gone or too scared to tell you; then ignorance can be a blissful state to be in. It takes a while before you notice that the faces keep changing with a monotonous regularity, and despite the obvious success of your plan you keep ending up feeling lonely. Some one told me recently they thought stubbornness was a virtue, well for me it wasn't.

Then one day I decided to do one thing just for me, can't remember what it was, probable immaterial now, but I took a risk, then another, and another, and another. Eventually everyone including me, thought I was a selfish B., but you know; it felt good. Everything I did, I did selfishly for me; bought myself a new camera, all for me; went for a walk, all for me; coordinated the Changes Meeting, all for me; went to the cinema with the wife, all for me.

Everything has to have a payoff, you have to look for it, but for me it is always there. Ultimately it's about making me feel good. It doesn't have to be conscious, in fact mostly I don't know I'm doing it, however there will be something in it for me.

It's OK to feel good about doing something nice, it's even OK to feel pride; and when you have to do things that you don't want to do, it isn't perverse to feel good about having done it. For me it's about finding the positive wherever I can, turning the negative into a valuable resource.

Oh, the "dreaming my way out of a mess", that's something else for another time.


7 comments:

klahanie said...

Greetings Smallandsnappy
Let me congratulate you on a brilliant blog.
I am glad that you start the day with a healthy breakfast. I am also fully aware of the importance of balanced nutrition in accordance with our mental and physical wellbeing. Alas, as you know, my appetite is very poor. Which is something I should address. (however as much as I know I should eat better, I don't fancy sticking half a pink grapefruit in my eyes :-))
I relate to so much of what you have written. I was so desperate for acceptance that I constantly catered to others. The people I mostly encountered barely acknowledged my deeds. So I understand that 'feeling' of resentment. The big change happened when I distanced myself from negative people who 'liked' me for all the wrong reasons.
Philip, ofcourse it is not selfish to think about yourself, we all need to have some 'me' time. Thus I know you are utilising positive resources, that is a fine thing indeed!
Even in the most negative of situations, I know you seek out the positive possibilities.
Warm wishes Klahanie aka Gary...etc...

klahanie said...

Hi Smallandsnappy
I want to thank you for your comment on my most recent blog. Your kind words are always appreciated.
Please continue to seek out positive solutions to life's little aggravations. We both know how having a laugh is so vital in our wellbeing.
Warm wishes Klahanie.

Jack said...

Hi Smallandsnappy. I totally agree with you. Eating healthy is good for you. You are right you have to do things for yourself. You can help others and be a good friend to others too. What I have been finding lately is that my friends and family have been appreciating me more. This has made me feel better. I am getting more out of life by putting more in. Thanks for your comment.

Leigh P said...

Hi S&S - good to read your blog.

(I'm currently stuck for words as to what to put on mine!)

Eating healthy is great - we (as a small family) changed everything we ate - got rid of the number one problem aka the 'chip pan' and now eat better, properly cooked food.

Better, for us, means very little, if any, processed rubbish (though Iceland occasionally offers the odd 'pre-processed' ingredient and I recommend their Veggie Chocolate cake which has NO nasties in it!).

We also found a secret weapon in eating healthy - it's called a good market fruit and vegetable stall. We get ours from the Anderson family in Hanley market, which means fresh produce, knowledge of what you are buying (try asking a supermarket droid how to cook butternut squash!), info on how to store it. The difference between fresh and 'real' produce compared to supermarket veg (which is often months old and comes from a deep freeze somewhere) is amazing. You also start to eat seasonal - just ask yourself "If strawberries are mainly available when Wimbeldon tennis takes place in summer, where do they get them from fresh in December?" - Simple - they don't - they have been stored frozen for months.

Finally - if you want a good 'health food' shop - Holland and Barrett are okay - but we prefer the little one in Alsager, but it means a special trip down there, but well worth it. Ran by lovely people, stocked to the ceiling and again they know what they are selling.

Anyway - all this talk of food has made me hungry - time for breakfast.

Till next time,

Radioman aka Leigh....

klahanie said...

Hello there Smallandsnappy,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for your comment on my latest blog. I value your very funny responses (without a hint of cynicism or sarcasm in them) very, very much:-) Stay cool dude.

klahanie said...

Hello there, you 'friend of the beaver' you. Thank you kindly for your comment on my latest mundane musings. Must go now dude before 'Purdey' says "goodbye" or is it something more akin to an Anglo-Saxon derivative...hmmm

klahanie said...

Hey up Philip aka Smallandsnappy. Thank you for your comment on my 'Motor'vation blog. Your comments mean a great deal.
A suggestion for a possible future blog for you..perhaps I could give you a clue..but that would be 'Shameless' of me...